Friday, September 27, 2013

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Mommy Update:  One week ago today, I gave birth to my baby boy.  Both of us are doing well.  The first week at home with a newborn is tough stuff, but we have survived and have even enjoyed it most of the time.  I don't have the kind of time or attention span for an entire feature film.  I've been watching snippets of whatever is on TV during feedings.  While in the hospital, I did catch most of Sixteen Candles, so until I can get back to watching movies, here is my review from August 2009.

Tribute to John Hughes: Sixteen Candles

August 9, 2009 at 9:45am
Sixteen Candles (1984)

Most Quotable Quote: “I loathe the bus.” ~ Sammy Baker Davis, Jr.

Favorite Quote This Time Around: “Not many women in contemporary American society today would give their panties to help out a geek like me.” ~ Farmer Ted

Character I Most Identify With: Samantha Baker


Some people say that high school is “the best time of your life.” This movie is proof positive that is not true. Even the beautiful people aren’t having a good time. Who can’t relate to looking forward to a major life milestone, only to be disappointed when it doesn’t live up to expectation? In my view, high school was a series of “milestone moments” that fell hopelessly flat. Here’s a rundown of some of those on the list:

1. “Sweet Sixteen.” My sixteenth birthday was pretty anticlimactic. Like Sam, I had always envisioned a big party, a great dress, a new Trans Am in the driveway. In reality, it was just a normal day: a full day at school, followed by driver’s ed, and then a long night of student teaching dance classes. At least my family didn’t forget. My mom made my favorite dinner and everyone sang “Happy Birthday” over a homemade cake, but by that point I was so down in the dumps over the lost dream that the only thing that could cheer me up would be to watch “Sixteen Candles.” Blake went on the quest with me. We went to no less than five different video rental stores. No one had a copy! Can you imagine? Another lost dream.

2. “Getting Your Driver’s License.” This is something teenagers look forward to with great anticipation, but this, too, was anticlimactic for me. The only course I ever failed in my life was Driver’s Ed. Oh, I passed the written portion, no problem. I had to spend the second semester of my sophomore year making up the actual DRIVING requirements. Consequently, I didn’t get my driver’s license until about six months AFTER my sixteenth birthday. By that time I hated driving so much I didn’t even want to use it.

3. Prom. So much emphasis is placed on the high school prom (see “Pretty in Pink”). I remember the anticipation, the scouring of magazines for the perfect prom gown, the images on TV and in movies of the magical night. I didn’t go. I wasn’t asked. Luckily, I had a group of great girlfriends who didn’t get asked either. We weren’t about to stay home. We had a Girl’s Night Out in the big city. From what I understand, we had a better time than those that went to the prom!

4. High School Romance. The media is filled with images of high school romance. I never had one. No romance, no first love, no first DATE! Talk about a geek! That’s why the end of “Sixteen Candles” is so satisfying. It’s nice to see the geeky sophomore get the hunky senior. A perfect fairy tale ending.



3 comments:

  1. You were the best prom date a girl could ever hope for. You... and Karl Malone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Prom was horrible! No band, just a DJ. Nothing to drink or eat and the dancing part was held in the basement of the Holiday Inn. I wish I had went out with you, Christina and the others that night.

    ReplyDelete