Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Clerks (1994)



Writer/Director:  Kevin Smith

The Quote I Quote Most Often:  “I’m not even supposed to be here today.” ~ Dante and “Salsa shark.” ~Randal

Favorite Quote This Time Around:  “I don’t appreciate your ruse ma’am.”  ~ Randal


Blake’s Favorite Quote:  “My love for you is like berserker.”  ~ Olaf


Character I Most Identify With:  Dante, because in the movie that is my life I’m the whiney protagonist with the sharp-tongued, hilarious best friend, Randal.

Nod to John Hughes:  “PB & J with the crusts cut off.”  ~from “The Breakfast Club”

Disclaimer:  The movie really should have been rated NC-17.  It has the filthiest language of any movie I’ve ever watched.  If you’re offended by that sort of thing, you probably wouldn’t like it.

My brother, Blake, introduced me to this movie.  In 1994, I had been away at my first year of college and then spent my summer working at a camp in Colorado.  I was really out of the cinematic loop and hadn’t heard anything about this film before I watched it on video in my mom’s basement.  Blake and I thought then (and I still think now) that this is one of the most genius films of all time.  I just love the story behind it.  Kevin Smith, a guy from the ‘burbs of Jersey, had a dream to make his own film, so he got a bunch of credit cards and his friends together and did it.  He. Just. Did. It.  He’s said many times that he didn’t know exactly what he was doing, but through the process of making the movie, he learned how.  

Here are the things I love about this movie:

1.        I love the chapter titles and the fact that you need a dictionary to understand them.  One of the chapters is titled “Syntax.”  Hello?  I love that!

2.       I love that the movie is in black and white to simulate the surveillance camera.  So very very cool.

3.       I love the soundtrack.

4.       And the odd collection of characters, many of whom are played by the same people wearing different hats.

5.       I love that the movie is relatively plotless.

In fact, it occurs to me now as I rewatch this movie that it is because of movies like this that I have developed a serious problem with plot in my own novels.

Clerks is the story of Dante Hicks, a convenience store clerk who is called in on his day off.  In many ways, the day is routine, not far off from any other day in this guy’s life.  Through a series of conversations and events (some routine, some extraordinary), he reexamines his life.  Not a lot of plot.  But I love stories like this.  I love the realism of a routine day, in which the main character has a major realization, and the story ends, but you get the sense that tomorrow is going to be just a little bit different.  The protagonist is going to be more okay tomorrow than he was today.  Not super exciting – not a lot of action, but a whole lot of funny and a lot of heart.

The problem is stories like this aren’t very commercial.  They’re not blockbusters.  Movies like this and novels like this have a difficult time getting made.  That’s one reason Kevin Smith just did it on credit cards, and the fact that no one knew who he was.  

I have now written three novels that have received critiques by professionals (agents, editors, writers).  The consensus is: My writing is pretty good; I have interesting, loveable characters, and an ear for dialogue.  But everyone who has offered a critique has said the same: There is not enough happening.  There’s not enough reason to keep turning the page.

Clerks is a perfect example of what is enough for me: you give me great characters and great dialogue and I will go along for the ride with you.  But apparently, those who sell novels to young adults don’t think this enough.  They insist that the plot line be stronger to give the reader a purpose for reading.  I haven’t decided if they’re right yet.  Sometimes I think they don’t give young adult readers enough credit.  However, I’m still an amateur writer, so I’m learning to bulk up my plot – which doesn’t seem to be detracting from the good things I have going on.  In fact, strengthening my plot lines, so far, is only enhancing my stories.  Plot is something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately, but I still have a fondness for a story without a lot of plot in the way.

2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on this movie as much as I love the movie. Clerks represents to me a touchstone to my past, especially that wonderful era when I was beginning to be an adult. In a convenience store of wonderfully vulgar language and "events (some routine, some extraordinary)" I found my own individuality and the first real connection I had ever felt with my generation.

    I'm so looking forward to more of your reviews, MIchelle! Wishing you the best health, rest, and happy days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Richard! I feel the same way about that movie. Well said!

      Delete