Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What the Blog?



It is most commonly known as the “Baby Blues.”  Vicki Iovine calls it “feeling postpartumish” in The Girlfriends’ Guide to Pregnancy.  Trent Reznor refers to it as “The Downward Spiral.”  Whatever you call it, it’s a slippery slope from feeling fine to not feeling so fine at all.

When I had my first baby, I was so afraid of getting postpartum depression, that I called a postpartum counselor who diagnosed me – not with postpartum depression, but with anxiety over fear of getting postpartum depression.  Speaking with her helped me to get through it rather quickly, but it’s never never something to take lightly.  If you’re feeling postpartumish in any way, get help!  It’s not something you need to hide or deal with on your own, no matter how scary it might feel.

I had my second baby so close to my first that I didn’t have time to consider whether or not I was feeling blue.  I was too busy changing two sets of diapers, washing bottles and sippy cups, and trying to keep whose pacifier was whose straight.

Now, as a mother of two school-age children, I will be snuggling my third baby at home alone, which in some ways sounds AWESOME, and in other ways sounds a bit lonely and scary.

My plans for this third stint at maternity leave is to sleep when the baby is sleeping, but also to watch a lot of movies (since I probably won’t be up for anything so academically challenging as reading a teen romance novel).  I have a few movies stacked up that are inappropriate to watch with the kids around and since I collapse at 9:30 p.m. each night, I haven’t gotten around to watching.  I’m also looking forward to revisiting some of my old favorites.

I plan to use this blog to review my favorite movies, analyze why they are my favorites, and use them as a lens to reflect upon myself as a writer, a story teller, and a working mom trying desperately to stave off the “baby blues.”  You are welcome to come along for the ride – or not.  I’d love to hear what you have to say about my musings.  I will most likely be needing some interaction with adults.  (Nothing against this sweet sweet baby.)

1 comment:

  1. You bet I will follow along. Adult time is precious these days. You may already know this for yourself, but without realizing it I put undue pressure on myself the third time around thinking I knew what was coming and how to deal. So I didn't take care of myself and the blues hit hard. Your plan sounds lovely - it is you time. Brilliant stuff. Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete